Wednesday, May 14, 2008

recipe break

Here's a little mini-recipe for the below mentioned deliciousness. I don't keep very good track of things as I cook though, so feel free to improvise.


Laroux's Spicy Rice-y:

1 1/2 c. instant brown rice
1 small (8oz?) can of tomato sauce
1 c. water
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & diced
1 c. frozen corn

bring water and tomato sauce to a boil in saucepan, add rice, bring back to a boil, then lower to just simmering and let it do its thing for 5 minutes or so. I stir it a lot during these 5 minutes, b/c I'm a little bit of a control freak. and I HATE when things get stuck to the bottom of the pan. After 5 minutes, add veggies, stir, cover, and remove from heat. (I didn't measure the other day when I made this at all, so best of luck. I take no responsibility for crunchy rice.


Tilapia w/ Peach Salsa:

tilapia fillets (one per mouth to feed)
juice from 1 lime
1 T. olive oil
peach salsa (from the Mediterranean bar at Wegmans. oh, the shame. i'm so embarrassed.)

Turn on your broiler and let it get all nice and hot. Completely line a cookie sheet with foil (you'll thank me for this later) . Drizzle the oil and lime juice over the fillets, both sides, and give them a little black pepper too. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes, then flip and give them another 2 or 3 minutes. I'd keep a close eye on it, I think I may have a weak broiler. and if your experience goes like mine, the smoke detector in your kitchen will probably go off. Plate the fish on rice and top with the salsa and some chopped cilantro if you go that way.

Enjoy!


PS. spellchecking this post has me completely confused about the word filet. apparently it can't be plural, unless you add an extra L? or maybe I've been spelling it wrong the whole time. or maybe (GASP!) spell check is leading me astray?

No comments: